Pages

08 November, 2011

I find you totally Encapsulating... Fenugreek !

Milk supply is a big issue for me. I pump 3-4 times a day at work, and I'm just barely getting the 14 -15 ounces my baby needs for the next day. I'm not building up a freezer stash, and I'm fairly constantly stressed about it. This isn't healthy. I've been taking fenugreek for about a month now. 3 pills 3 times a day, and yes I've noticed some increases, but they don't seem to be consistent and don't last throughout the day. For example, I pump at 9am and get 5 ounces, then at my next two pumping sessions I'll only get 2.5-4 ounces each time. Adding in a 2am pumping and a 4am pumping will always help me cover the spread, but that's stressful- getting up 3 times a night for a baby that actually only wakes once!

The 100 pill bottles last a little over a week. $7.99 a bottle, means that I'm spending roughly $25 a month, minimum. I'm too cheap to not seek out an alternative that doesn't involve as much packaging, and all that crunchy biz.

I came to the conclusion that making my own fenugreek capsules was the way to go. Usually I'm a compulsive Googler of process and theory. But this time I just kind of jumped in. Bought a package of capsules, filled up a bag of bulk ground fenugreek, and brought it all home. Total I spent like $6 and I think I'm set for a while.


My Process
I spoon some out onto a plate. I use a little butter spreader to tap in the powder, then i repeat with the other side of the capsule. I admit, it's not scientific. I'm not measuring or weighing..



Fairly simple stuff.


2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about donor milk? Lindsey A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. I'm not sure I want to go through the process of finding someone I trust. And I've beeb doing a lot better lately. 6 months of breast feeding- going strong!

    ReplyDelete