Pages

05 November, 2011

Seitan- The Wheat Meat, 1000 possibilites

Fake meats creep me out. My husband's vegan sausages, meat crumbles, and chick'n nuggets are all gag inducing. Oddly enough, I've found seitan to be palatable. We've tried a few different brands and styles. So far, I like chicken style strips the best; Westsoy strips to be exact. The problem is, I'm a Googler, which means I found like a gagillion recipes and uses for seitan.

Seitan Recipe
  • 1 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 3/4 cup of any vegan broth (I used vegan chicken broth)
  • 6 cups of vegan broth + 1/4 cup soy sauce for boiling the seitan
Mix all ingredients








Let it rest for a few minutes, then knead the dough for about 2 minutes. The Internet told me to let it rest again for about 15 minutes then knead again. I didn't.

I pressed it as flat as I could then cut it into strips about 2 1/2 inches long.

Boil the strips/chunks/loaf in the 6 cups of broth for about 45 minutes to an hour. It'll expand quite a bit, so go extra on the sauce.













After an hour, pour it out into a colander in the sink. Kind of press it out. Don't go crazy with the pressure, but give it a good squeeze.

I stored mine in a ziploc bag in the crisper drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment