Pages

03 September, 2011

Vegan Irish Comfort Food!

Champ!
I found one of those '50 best....' photo tickers of the best foods ever. I found this little Irish gem, Champ. Basically it's onions and potatoes with a shit ton of butter. Just the basic vegan switches and you'll have a fantastic plate of good feelings.

Ingredients- Vegan Champ

  • 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 1 cup soy milk- or veggie broth - or not chicken broth
  • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste (heavily salt your water to boil the potatoes, or add the bouillon the water for added flavor)
  • 1/4 cup vegan butter
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • (I also added a big dollop of vegan sour cream)
 ---Make sure you heat the onions in the liquid of choice before you add them to the potatoes.
 ---And my ratio of green onion to potatoes is pretty high, I don't think you can have too many.
I serve it family style in a huge mound with the butter well in the middle, or smaller plates with same said butter well. 









2 comments:

  1. What is vegan butter made out of? I think it's kinda cool that there are all these substitutes, just curious what in the heck they are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a soy product. Really great. Check out http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/
    I pretty much live off the butter. It melts great, and I've never had a flavor issue.

    ReplyDelete